Tuesday, February 12, 2013

Hitting Low Points

It's that time in the semester when things start to get annoying and life starts to get messy. In this time, my body and my mind are subject to primal instincts and cravings, regardless of what is socially acceptable.

I have a ridiculous class from 6:45 p.m. -10:00 p.m. on Mondays. Well, it's not that ridiculous because it's an acting class and we literally start each day with group stretching, breathing, and cooperation exercises. Pretty relaxed, so we can all say:


Image Source

 The point is, when this class rolls around, I have been in class since 12:45 p.m. During my rushed one hour break, I run back to my apartment (12 minutes) eat and run to class, which is in the depths of this wretched city (20 minutes).

My limited amount of time to eat leaves me largely unsatisfied and I crave something more... but what? With one foot out the door already, it clicks and I run back into the apartment in a beeline to the automatic m&m dispenser (wave your hand underneath, handful of m&ms). I wave my hand three times.. and put all the m&ms in my coat pocket... and eat them like popcorn as I walk.

Image Source


8:30 p.m. rolls around and we are granted a brief ten minute respite. I reach into my coat pocket when I assume no one is looking and feel what's left of my desperate snack. What comes out of my pocket is a color-stained couple of fingers and a dirty-ish clump of what was once m&ms. DAMN IT, I curse to myself.. it had been 'freezing rain' while I was walking and some must have found its way into my addict-snack-pocket. The worst is yet to come.

A guy just a couple of chairs down from me asks me a question as I raise the stale, chocolaty mass to my mouth. I also notice a hair stuck to the clammy shell of one of the m&ms and eat them all anyway. Imagine a cute, dry golden retriever. Now, make that golden retriever wet, muddy, and smelly. He's still cute, so you want to pet him but when you do, you regret it because it's awful. That's essentially the sly trick these chocolate morsels played on me.. I felt sick the rest of the class.

4 comments:

  1. That schedule sounds grueling. At least it's just the one day, right? But hold on, you have an automatic M&M dispenser!?! You're living life right...then I get to the analogy about the wet golden retriever. Now I don't want m&m's anymore.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Fortunately that is just one day! The m&m dispenser is such a problem.. it just sits there waiting for all of its m&ms to be dispensed - imagine that!? My roommate never seems to eat them, so when all the m&ms are gone, I will feel terrible about myself.

      Delete
  2. I would love to just be sitting there as someone reaches into their pocket, pulls out a few fingers full of brown chocolate goo (with hair on it), and proceeds to eat it in front of me. That's a life story you just never forget.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I'm sure that person won't be asking me any more questions this semester. Nor will he ever ask me for a snack.

      Delete